Friday, May 12th, 2017
9 am until 4 pm
Hilton Double Tree Hotel
300 NW Franklin Ave, Bend, OR
6 hours of Continuing Education Credit
Teach Your Clients Better Self-Care By Caring For Yourself
Self-care is essential for physical, emotional, and professional health. Most therapists speak to their clients about the importance of self-care on a regular basis. Sadly, therapists often exemplify the idiom, “Take my advice, I’m not using it.” In this course you will be shown current trends for therapists regarding self-care, look at the professional dangers of self-neglect, and assess your own skills at caring for yourself. You will review the skills and actions you offer your clients, with an eye on applying these activities in your own life. Through this course you will develop new strategies for caring for your needs and increase your commitment to consistently prioritizing your own wellbeing. You will be given tangible tools to help you ground and embody your learning so you can gently remind yourself to “practice what you preach.”
Through participation in this course members will:
- Look closely and honestly at the challenges of life as a professional therapist
- Examine the personal and professional costs of self-neglect
- Explore the ethical consequences of inadequate self-care
- Observe and assess current self-management skills
- Identify soothing, restorative, and balancing strategies for managing challenges
- Implement specific self-soothing and restorative actions
- Form an ongoing action plan for maintaining healthy self-care; including boundary setting, utilizing support structures, changing habits, and reinforcing success
- Learn how to teach and train clients to implement strategies for good self-care
Cost (Including Lunch and Beverage)
Postmarked By 4/7/17
- COAP Members*: $130
- Non Members: $140
Postmarked By 5/1/17
- COAP Members*: $140
- Non Members: $150
Postmarked AFTER 5/1/17
- COAP Members*: $150
- Non Members: $160
What Former Attendees Have Said
“Elsbeth is a skilled curator of restoration and care, and a brilliant teacher and educator. She brought a vibrant, grounded energy and solid toolkit of therapeutic interventions that left my soul and spirit refreshed and my mind enriched. I highly recommend her Self-Care & Restoration retreats to all in the helping profession.”
Tina Lips, LPC, LMHC
“This has helped me better understand that all the masks and suitcases (metaphorically) I carry with me compromise my authenticity. I would recommend to those who have lost sight of self, lost sight of passions, to give the time to reengage with YOU! You are amazing, come find that out again, with Elsbeth!”
Family School Liaison Counselor
“Elsbeth created an environment where the personal and the professional became one. Being with others in this life-giving yet challenging profession of ours, was truly amazing. If you are struggling to find yourself in this work, to align with your purpose, to explore your future and to honor your past, this is the opportunity to do so.”
Linda Carpenter, PhD
Carpenter Smith Consulting
“A truly restorative retreat! Highly engaging and energizing. I recommend this retreat for professionals of all levels of experience and life stage or phase in career – from any practice setting- from private practice, to consulting, to community mental health. I learned so much valuable information and concrete tools to continue to use with myself as well as the therapists I supervise and clients. The combination of content and process, theory and experiential activities was so effective and has made a big impact personally and professionally in a brief period of time. Well worth it! Take this retreat! We talk about self-care as helping professionals, but Elsbeth really dives into it in a deep way that is impactful, and she provides a safe, supportive, nourishing environment as well as concrete tools the I can take with me.”
Zenia Brar, LMHC, CMHS
- Membership in COAP is limited to Central Oregon active and retired psychologists, residents, and psychologist associates. You must be current with COAP dues to register at the membership rate. Dues were collected with the December 2016 workshop or collected in the fall of 2016 for the fall 2016 to fall 2017. If you wish to become a COAP member and meet eligibility requirements, please mail in your dues for $25 to COAP.
- If registering 3 or more people to this workshop, please subtract $15 from your total fee.
- Registrations sent in after 5/6/17 are not guaranteed to have meal service.
- If you commit by email that you will attend, COAP expects that you pay, even in the event you cannot attend.
Payment must accompany registration. Check or money order accepted.
- If registering 3 or more people, please subtract $15 from your total fee.
**Registration fee will not be refunded for cancellations as of one week prior to the scheduled event, or for no-shows. Prior to that, a $25 cancellation fee will be assessed.
Confirmation of completed registration will be sent upon request via email.
- Students may attend the workshop for $70. Please include a copy of your current student ID when registering. Student registrations are not accepted the week of the workshop.
- Questions can be directed to email@example.com
- For information on future COAP workshops, please see our website at http://coapsychologists.weebly.com/contact.html